Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Society of Women Writers Luncheon - April


I attended the Society of Women Writers' Luncheon today in the beautiful Mitchell Library, which is part of the State Library of NSW in Macquarie St (Sydney). I'm a member of the SWW and also a friend of one of the guest speakers there today, Wendy Fitzgerald.

I met Wendy through the Children's Book Council (CBCA) Northern Sydney sub-branch, which a number of authors in northern Sydney set up last year. Wendy wrote and self-published 'Bollywood Dreams', a story about a young Indian girl who comes to Australia.

Wendy is such a relaxed and entertaining speaker, she had everyone laughing and hanging on to her every word. Her success is remarkable too, and there's even talk of the book being made into a movie. Go, Wendy!

I had a lovely time talking to friends - Wendy Blaxland, Jan Latta and Beatrice Yell were there - just to name a few. Not only was the venue superb, the food was lovely and so was the wine. And it must have been my lucky day because I won the raffle!

Back at my desk after the lovely lunch, I contacted Tina Clark who organises the CYA Conference. Last year, I attended the conference and met with Jacinta di Mase, literary agent, in a one-on-one meeting. At the time, Jacinta agreed to represent me and ever since we've been forging ahead with writing projects. As a CYA Success Story, Tina has invited me to attend the conference and speak on their 'Success Story Panel', which I'm absolutely thrilled about.

The CYA Conference will be held in Brisbane on 4 September, 2010, which coincides perfectly with the launch of the first book in my 'Fabulous Diary of Persephone Pinchgut' series.














No comments:

Post a Comment