Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Marketing Your Book

I've been learning a lot these last few months about how much work it takes to market a book. I have very supportive and helpful publishers, I consider that we work together as a team to bring a book to life. But I don't believe everything can be left up to the publisher when it comes to marketing a book.

With the release of my picture book, Puggle's Problem, in July 2010, I developed a very comprehensive marketing plan. Perhaps a little too comprehensive. The list seems endless, really, of all the things I can do to get my book selling. But by making a list, it helped me formalise the things I should do, the things I want to do. And, having worked through the list these last few months, trying to achieve all I'd set out to achieve, I've realised that I can't do everything.

What you need to do is focus on the things that are achievable and do them as best you can. The areas I'm focusing on are:

  • School Visits
  • Library Visits
  • Bookstore Events
  • Local newspaper and magazine interviews

Of course, these are all the traditional avenues for promoting a book. The other, more modern methods, are social networking pages like Facebook and Twitter. Also setting up a blog (like this one) and a website. They're all great for getting your name out there - but you also have to let people know you're on the web (promote your promotional tools) and that can be time-consuming, too.

One other thing I enjoyed doing was creating my first ever book trailer for Puggle's Problem. It's very simple, but I'm lucky in a way that Puggle's Problem is a picture book because I was able to use the illustrations done by Sandra Temple to enrich the trailer. For a first effort, I think it works well. It was certainly produced at an affordable budget and hopefully it sends a positive message to potential readers and buyers - and to booksellers who I hope will stock my book.

In terms of good news, I received confirmation from Manly Library that they would like me to come along as a guest author to their Winter Storytime session at 5pm on Thursday 15 July. Kids will come in pyjamas with a soft teddy to hear stories read to them, including mine. It sounds like a fun event and I can't wait to turn up in my PJs too!

I've also been invited to write an article for the ACT Writers' Centre July newsletter, which is focusing on Writing for Young Adults and Children. Now all I need to do is come up with a topic....

TTFN, catch you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment