Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dreaming About Bats... And A Tiger In Between

Last week I received the roughs for my next picture book, Warambi. It's a story about a Little Bentwing bat who loses her home. Andrew Plant is the illustrator for the project and after seeing his roughs, I've been so excited all I've been dreaming about for days is bats!

I'm such an animal lover, I can't help writing about them. Maybe it's something that comes from growing up in the country, maybe it's just something that's born inside me, but I can't help myself. I'm constantly amazed at the beauty of animals and how special they are. And I constantly feel the need to share the knowledge of this beauty with others, by writing about them.

Today, I took my two year old daughter to Taronga Zoo. Although the zoo is a huge construction site, with so many enclosures shut down and under renovation, there's still a lot to see. One special exhibit is the elephants, with two babies on display. Very special. And when I saw the tiger up and about and sitting right near the front of his enclosure, I just had to take a photo.

This shot is so close up! I was actually only a metre away from this beautiful, giant cat. Luckily, a thick sheet of glass was separating us, not that you can really tell from the photo.

As for my other writing projects, I'm currently completing a submission for the Manly Arts Festival. I'm coordinating a storytime session for preschoolers on Saturday 11 September and workshop sessions for Sunday 12 September. It's going to be lots of fun, but right now, it's also a lot of hard work. Deadline is looming tomorrow.

I'm also finishing off a manuscript, which I'm being mentored on by Kate Forsyth, as part of the ASA Mentorship prize, which I won in 2009. Polishing, polishing... and I'd better get back to it, so TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment