Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Short Stories & Articles



Do you recognise this stately gentleman? He's the Big Merino at Goulbourn, just north of Canberra. He's absolutely massive, as one of my sons said with a great deal of admiration, 'He's bigger than a mammoth!'.

I spent the weekend in Canberra with my family on a quick getaway for my birthday. Despite the wet weather, we had a wonderful time sightseeing and visiting Parliament House, the Old Bus Depot Markets, Cockington Green and the War Memorial. I highly recommend a trip to Canberra, though navigating your way through London Circuit can be interesting at times!

And yes, never mind this month-long wet weather we've had in Sydney, there's nothing we can do about it and at least it's good for keeping us inside and writing. Speaking of which, I've been working on an article for the ACT Writers' Centre magazine, due out in July. The topic of my article is, 'Who Wants To Publish Your Picture Book?'. I'll be talking about my long and winding road to publication and will be including some advice and tips on getting published. Keep an eye out for it!

Another positive, I received an email tonight stating that the two short stories I entered in the 2010 Common Thread Longer Short Story Competition had been shortlisted. Maggie & Jack and The Tender Barbs Of Sacrifice, are in the running for a prize. Who would have thought? Fingers crossed at least one of them comes through. There's nothing quite like receiving an email (or letter) that says one of your stories has been written well - well enough to make it to the top of the pile in a competition.

Looking forward to the Writers' Network meeting at the Hughendon tomorrow morning. Hope to see some friendly faces and share some good news.

Signing off,
A.

No comments:

Post a Comment